Monday, February 6, 2012

A death in the family.

Today we did a scenario on psychiatric emergencies, my partner and I were dealing with a young woman who was suicidal. Wow. Hits home when you think about the friends you lost who ended their lives way too soon. I'm constantly reminded of Dave Trudeau, wondering if I could have done anything to keep him from ending his life way too soon. The answer is, no. I hate to say that, but he gave us no outward signs of his state of mind, there was no cry for help. He'd already formulated a plan for his own demise, and never let anyone close to him know. It wasn't until the next day when we found out, when we realized by how he was acting the night before that he was saying goodbye. He was saying goodbye to his friends everywhere he went. Not "see you tomorrow", but goodbye.......I wished I could have seen it then, in hindsight none of us could have really known. He didn't open up to us about his family life so we could try and help. All that potential......he was a good kid. That's all I have right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment